Friday, December 6, 2013

Christmas Cookies--Bullets



This year I am giving tins of cookies as gifts.  I am cutting back on spending so I can make a donation to help drill water wells in Mozambique, where thousands of people die every year as a result of drinking contaminated water.

I have a few favorite cookie recipes, but one that everyone loves are Mexican Wedding Cookies--those little round bites covered in powdered sugar.  They are easy to make but in our family are called Bullets.  The first time my mom made them, she did something wrong, and they came out hard as rocks.  When my dad tried one, he told my mom not to worry, they wouldn't go to waste, 'cause he would use them for bullets.  Well, the name stuck.

Here is the recipe that I use

Bullets  (Mexican Wedding Cookies) Daddy's Favorite
Ingredients: 
1 cup Margarine                     2-1/4 cup Flour
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar     1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla                     3/4 cup finely chopped nuts Walnuts or Pecans

Instructions:  Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla thoroughly.  Mix dry ingredients, and blend in.  Mix in nuts.  Roll in 1" balls, place on cookie sheet and bake at 400  for 10-12 minutes, until set but not brown.  While warm roll in additional powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment