Thursday, October 3, 2013

One Lump or Two


Heating stove similar to one in our ranch house

Now that fall is upon us, it's time to get the central heat checked.  This is a far cry from the heating in our ranch home when I was growing up.  The main house was heated by a Franklin stove in the living room that burned wood or coal, and a kitchen stove that my Mom could make hearty stews or delicate angel food cakes.  







She would regulate the oven temperature with either one log or two or just the right amount of coal. Her hot water was warmed in a tank behind the stove.   We did have cold running water piped directly from a spring, captured just as it emerged from the ground and before it fed into the upper pond. Sometimes when I take our modern conveniences for granted I take a moment to remember my roots.


No comments:

Post a Comment