Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sew I Do!

My Treadle Singer
Today is Sewing Machine Day.

Sewing Machine Day celebrates a very important invention ----- the sewing machine. The first sewing machines were made in France in the 1830s. It wasn't until 1846, that they were patented in the U.S. What a great invention. Prior to it's creation, clothes items were sewn together by hand...stitch by stitch.

People who know how to use a sewing machine are dwindling in number. Our mothers and grandmothers had a sewing machine in the house. They used it, too. But, look around your house. Do you have a sewing machine? Chance are, the answers is no.

But that wouldn't include me.  I have an old treadle Singer that I use as a nightstand in my bedroom, but it is still very usable.  Then I have a Janome computer machine, a Baby Lock serger, a White travel machine that I take to sewing classes, a small portable Singer that I use for crafts, and finally a Viking that I keep at my daughter's home in Prescott.

As you might guess, I love to sew--everything from wedding ensembles to quilted potholders.  I first started sewing when I was just a kid, making clothes for my dolls.  My mother was very patient teaching me the finer points of sewing, such as sewing a straight seam and how to set in a sleeve.

But wouldn't you know it, none of my kids know how to sew, I guess it is just easier for Mom to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment