Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fulcrum 1952--Part 2

This story has four parts that I want to share with you.  It was a story that changed all our families lives not only at the time that it happened, but for the rest of our lives.

Then one after another my two brothers and other sister became sick and day by day all were hospitalized with that terrible disease. My folks trying to protect me, kept me isolated from others.  Alone at home, I had no way of knowing what was happening.  At only ten and a half years old, I was responsible but scared of this strange scourge surrounding me.  My dad came home each night and told me how my siblings were doing.  Then one day a week later he promised that my older brothers and sister were slowly recovering, but would be in the hospital for a couple more weeks.  However, little Ruthie was still in critical condition and had been transferred by ambulance to Casper, a little over 200 miles away.  It was the closest hospital that had an iron lung that she needed in order to breathe.  Mom would stay with her until her conditioned stabilized.

So Daddy and I continued the business of life.  We ate, did our chores and listened to the radio.  Every afternoon he would go to town to check on his other children, and call Mom from the hospital to get an update on Ruthie.  After what seemed like forever,  the kids in the Cody hospital were released, and by that time Ruthie was stable so Mom also came home, but made the long trek to Casper to visit Ruthie every few weeks.

Part Three will be published Tuesday June 3rd.  (Part One was published May 28th.)

No comments:

Post a Comment