Monday, April 29, 2013

A-Z Challenge--Youthful


All About Me
Youthful
I seldom act my age.  My kids tell me that sometimes I make them feel old.  My doctor says that I am biologically much younger than my years.  And personally I do feel much younger that people my own age.  As I consider this, I think a lot of it has to do with my outlook on life.  I don't take myself too seriously.  I try and enjoy the beauty around me every day--and living on the edge of the barrio sometimes I have to look hard. 

I wrote this poem about my neighborhood--how I look on it.

Saturday Afternoon

On a lazy afternoon
Sitting on the swing
Mariachi rhythms
Dance upon the breeze

Somewhere in the neighborhood
Voices call to kids
Young men polish beat up trucks
While the girls flirt with ease

Scents of roasting barbeque
Mingle with the call of doves
It’s evening in my barrio
Time for enjoying all of these.
©Marti Murphy

I realize that I am truly blessed to have this outlook on life.  And somebody please gag me if I ever start talking about all my surgeries or aches and pains.

No comments:

Post a Comment