Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Trip to Grandmas

Just about every summer when the garden was well established, Mom would load up the car and all us kids and we would set off for a visit to Grandma’s little place just outside of Tooele Utah.  We left early in the morning, with the sun to our backs as we climbed the pass into Yellowstone Park, then past Old Faithful Geyser, and all the hot springs with their rainbow colored rocks.  Elk, buffalo and bears roamed freely–often near the highway.  We then turned south, the pine trees making shadows across the road like a picket fence.  Soon we passed the Grand Tetons, still capped in snow, and then down a long valley into Salt Lake City.
 All the way we would sing folk songs learned in school, and hymns learned in church.  We had a goal to try and sing all the way to Grandma’s without repeating a song.  We enjoyed music, but I’m sure that Mom enjoyed the singing, without it there surely would have been some arguing and fighting.  A car with five kids could be rambunctious.  Even though we were by now tired from the 14 hours on the road, we pressed our faces to the windows so not to miss a sight of this huge city.  All the lights, tall buildings and activity amazed us.  
Then past the Salt Aire amusement park with its roller coaster over the lake, past all the salt fields, past the acrid smoke of the copper mines, then Grandma’s house.  She hustled us in declaring in her thick Latvian brogue that we must be hungry, and there was supper, followed with milk and cookies, and off to bed.

8 comments:

  1. What a great description of your ride. I could feel myself right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful memory, Marti...of your childhood. I could see all those sights through your eyes. That was a long trip in a car with 5 kids but made for a wonderful bonding between sibilings-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories ... thanks for "taking us along".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marti, you are my blogger to pray for today for The Bloggers Prayer Project! Prayer coming your way via e-mail! Love your sweet memory shares. In His Grace, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. 14 hours in a car and your mom drove all by herself? That's amazing! Great memories you shared with us. Hope your day is going Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We loved singing in the car when we went somewhere. I do that now and then when the grandkids are out. I think it's a little of a foreign concept now, but I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Years and many years ago when I lived in Brigham City,Utah and had an 18 month old, we went out to Saltair. It was all abandoned and destructing practically as you look at it but we could walk all through it and see the ballroom which was incredible as I saw it. I can't imagine what it must have been at one time. I have some old 60's photos of it when we were there. I've heard since that you cannot walk through it now. I can understand why but so glad I got to do it then. I only wish I'd been as alert to things like that as I am now. Why do we get smarter on the way out. That seems just dumb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was an amazing ride for lots of reasons. sandie

    ReplyDelete