Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pondering with a Purpose--Are you listening?

Photobucket

This Week's prompt: Are you a listener?
or are you a talker?

One of the wisest men from Biblical times--Solomon--wrote these words. 

 Pro 12:15 Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

I have found so many times that it is wise to listen, and by that I mean not just hear what someone is saying, but to actually listen.  What are they trying to say?  What is it that they need?--just someone to vent to, or someone to sympathize, or someone who can offer a solution.  So often, being the fix-it person that I am, I jump in and try to solve their situation, only to find that they were only venting, and after getting rid of their stress they were quite able to handle the problem in their own way.
One the other hand, when I have a problem and am struggling with what to do, I have found it wise to listen to what others say.  I may get a dozen different solutions,  maybe one of them will work or perhaps none of them will, but I have options, often things that I hadn't thought of.  And maybe one of these options will trigger the correct response for me.
So, I am definitely a listener.

5 comments:

  1. I am like you and I can tend to frustrate people! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mindset is very similar to yours, I always really listen to what someone has to say and try to offer a solution or advice, and many times it seems, just like you said, that they were only venting and didn't need my help after all. On the opposite end, I have a hard time getting people to listen to what I have to say well enough to offer advice. I think I need some new listeners...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same and need to remember that most times people are just venting and don't really want to hear from me! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Marti! It is so true that many people really just need to get things off their chests and so many times there is no one to listen to them...

    Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again, Marti, still wondering about your pacakge. I mailed it weeks ago and emailed you to confirm but never heard back. Would you mind dropping me a note? I mail a lot of packages and like to stay on top of these things. Thank you.
    Much love,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete