Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pondering with a Purpose--Baby Contests

Photobucket
This Week's prompt is:Baby Contests
Recently, I was bored so I was flipping through the TV channels and stopped on a show called "Toddlers and Tiaras".  I watched the show and by the end and the crowning of a little four-year old I was sick.  What was wrong? Several things--The children even at this early age were developing a warped sense of values.  They concentrated on the importance of physical beauty--altering their natural childhood appearance with false eyelashes, lipstick, fake tans and even teeth caps.  I feel that this could very well lead to insecurity and eating disorders as they mature.  They are being programmed at this early age that the way they look isn't good enough. 
Another problem is that their behavior is inappropriate.  The sense of competition is ingrained in them.  They are being taught that only the best wins, not that doing your best is fine; and that looking hot and sexy at four is the most important thing in life.  
They were totally bratty kids. By the end of the show, I was convinced that what I was really seeing was a group of frustrated mothers, trying to live out a fantasy through their little girls.
Beauty Contest Winner and his Mom
Now to be fair and for full disclosure, my grandson was in a beauty contest when he was a baby, and he won.  But that was different. You are saying, "Sure it was!"  My daughter entered him, and then sold tickets for the event--all the money going to a local charity for children.  On the final day, the child--that would be mom--who raised the most money was given a trophy.  Awards were also presented to all those who entered.What is wrong with celebrating the beauty that each child has within them, encouraging them to be kind and caring for others?  What is wrong with teaching them through team sports the concept of competition, and that the sun doesn't rise and set on just them? What is wrong with a mother encouraging a child to be just a normal kid and have fun, be respectful of others, and play in the dirt?

17 comments:

  1. I don't think the "cutest baby" contests are so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that show is something else. I can't stand it and the mothers act worse than the children. I believe beauty comes from within, if you're not pretty i.e. respectful, caring, loving and giving from within, the outer appearance won't help a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pondering Marti! I completely agree with you even though I have yet to catch this show. Beauty contests for little girls are for their mothers! Not for the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so agree with what you said about the mothers living their own lost dreams through the child. I'd go even further to say it's abuse. my own post details why a bit further.

    but that little cutie? of course he won! and that's a contest that is completely appropriate, and even raised money for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toddlers and tiaras is a terrible show!!! I feel so bad for the little girls that just want to leave the competition and go play!! Just terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That show makes me cringe! What is wrong with those parents? You're taking little girls and making them look like grown women! It is WRONG on so many levels. Definitely a form of child abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post, those poor little girls just gave me shivers. I don't think any kid should have have to live as a adult before it is time. Your grandson and his momma are cute. :)
    This is the first time I have had a chance to get around to visit. I hope you are doing good, How are you and your grandson feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My three year old just saw the pictures of the two girls and asked "Is she real?" ...Enough said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with you! I can't even get into those shows... ugh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't that show amazing to watch? Some of those kids need a spanking! and some of those mothers need child protective services called on them lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's terrible to see these little girls being paraded around like they are mini-sexpots. If they want to have contests, at least let them be their natural selves. I have never liked any kind of contests of this sort, to be honest. All children are cute in their own way and I hate to see one singled out over all the others. JMHO.
    Your grandson is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They even have fake teeth! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen this kind of program, though I've caught glimpses of stories about them on Dr. Phil or whatever. I think that you've made some excellent points. Those little girls look like little models. I don't find it attractive to make little girls look like teenagers or older.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't that a horrid thing to do to a child! There are enough messed up people in this world without trying to make little children into super models when they should be outdoors playing and having FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I won't even watch those shows, I feel so bad for the little girls.....LET THEM BE LITTLE GIRLS!!!
    I don't remember the one teacher's name but if someone was treating my babies like that I would not take them back!!!
    Suzann ~xoxo~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was bored and flipping channels one day and saw this show. I swear I said to myself that I was witnessing child abuse and there were people PAYING to encourage it instead of doing it as a news special report, which it should be. I agree with you 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw the show too. I did not hear about the same show here, though. But we usually copy the States, so soon we will have the same event, I am sure.
    Poor mothers, I think. And poor frightening girls.
    Thank you so much for the comments and attention.

    ReplyDelete