Saturday, March 17, 2012

Book of Life

I have often been asked when I started writing.  The answer--probably as soon as I was able to hold a pencil. I loved to read; by fifth grade I had read all the books in our school library, and I think that writing was a natural progression.  I remember that sometimes I was unhappy with the way a story ended. 
One time  I brought a book home from the library. It was the story of romance between a young lady and a cowboy. They had their usual problems, and in the end he rode away. I recall crying and was so unhappy, that I carefully cut the last chapter from the book, and rewrote it with the couple living happily ever after. I glued this better ending in. Then returned it to the library, very pleased with myself.
I enjoy chronicling the world of my youth--sharing the times and problems that we encountered, being careful to not to make a better ending.  


My life is naturally divided into three periods--youth, marriage and children, and retirement years.  Each section is about the equal length of time.  So I see three books in my future.


******
The winner for my 100 follower giveaway is Diana at Nana Diana takes a Break. Please e-mail me with your address. Congratulatins

True Random Number Generator
Min: 1
Max: 129
Result:
18

11 comments:

  1. Yep- You either got it or you don't as far as writing is concerned. I can see 3 books in your future! Happy St. Paddy's Day to you-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious! What nerve... :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute memory! I am sure the next reader enjoyed your happy ending. Enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm BLOWN-AWAY with this tale of your ghost-writing.... love it! (hee-hee)
    I was recently remarking to a friend how it feels as if I've lived 3 different lives (so far!). How reassuring to see this and realize I'm not a lone ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Keep on writing! But it will be nice that you are using your own paper now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Goodness! Love it. I'd like to rewrite a few endings in books, myself. I've just never been creative enough to think of such. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how sweet to rewrite a happy ending! What a precious heart you have. I can image the smiling librarian when she saw the returned book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGOSH-Thank you! Was that on there when I first visited this morning? I usually read a whole post top to bottom. I don't know how I missed this...anyway THANK YOU and I am emailing you my address! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three books in your future - wonderful. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds very interesting! Keep writing. :-)

    P.S. How did you fare with the librarian after returning the 'new version'?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that sounds like something a sensitive little girl might do, though this is the first I've heard of it. When you sell your novel this can be the blurb on the author's page.

    ReplyDelete