Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Roasting Marshmallows

Our ranch was perched on the side of Logan Mountain.  Far below at the waters edge was the highway that ran from Cody to Yellowstone Park.  Just on the other side of our lawn was a little knoll where we built a small fire pit. Some clear evenings, Mom would build a fire and we would sit around on the boulders and talk or sing.  

We would roast marshmallows--each of us had our favorite method, one of my brothers liked them just barely brown, but I liked mine to catch on fire, then I'd blow out the flames, take off the char and recook it.  It was a game to see who could get the most roastings off one marshmallow.





The sky was so clear that you felt you could reach out and touch the stars. Often we would try to find the constellations that Mom would name, or take turns telling stories born in our imagination. Occasionally we would see the glow of headlights from a car on the highway far below us.  These were special evenings that now live in my book of memories.

11 comments:

  1. I love doing this and so does my grandson - I like them set on fire, but the grandson just likes them melted but not burned - a little tougher! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like my marshmallows burnt to a crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roasting marshmallows ... haven't done it in a long, long time, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roasting marshmallows...you can't beat it! That's one thing I really miss about living where we do now...it's next to impossible to see the stars at night because of all the street lights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. Don't you feel sorry for those who never get to see past city light! I love going outdoors at night and looking up to see the vast Milky Way and pick out favorite constellations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice post--I love roasting marshmellows, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once my granddaughters had s'mores outside at our campout, I had to show them that we could have them inside. I toasted them on the stove, and they ate 'em. All this while it rained outside, and the fireplace flickered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can only eat marshmellows if the are first placed on fire!! I love them black.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the Ghostbusters theme song stuck in my head from your MMOM post and now I am craving S'mores.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful memories. :) Makes me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must have been wonderful to grow up there!

    ReplyDelete